Official Number Date Builder Tonnage L B D Fate
  1959 NSW State Dockyard 4619 371.8 58.2 15.6 scrapped at Alang, India in March 2005

Princess of Tasmania was owned and operated by the Australian National Line.  The 230 miles between Melbourne and Devonport, over which the ship sailed three return trips per week was appropriately named the "Searoad". This was along Port Phillip Bay, over Bass Strait and along the Mersey River at Devonport to it's other specially constructed berth. At the time of introduction in 1959, it was reportedly the longest drive-on drive-off service in the world.  The Princess of Tasmania was 4,619 tons and carried 334 passengers, 178 in cabins and 156 in lounge chair type accomodation. The seating accomodation was in three sections, Two of these were situated -- one on each side of the funnel, while a bigger saloon was situated just behind the front full width deck. It was built at the State Dockyard at Newcastle New South Wales and had a draught of 15 feet which allowed it to use the more direct shallow channel at the southern end of Port Phillip bay to and from the heads, which saved considerable time and distance. It also carried some 100 cars and caravans plus commercial vehicles and a mail van. 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - All material used on this site is copyright - No photographs or other material may be used without the express written permission of the web master - 2014